Monday, April 1, 2013

An Introduction


I welcome you, dear reader, to my blog
A place displaying poetry with pride
A shelter from the Internet's dark smog
So why not come and have a look inside?

If you're averse to sonnets, I'd advise
That you depart this page ASAP
But if you read this post, then that implies
That you are willing to put up with me

And all the silly sonnets that I write
As well as those that cover darker themes.
I find too often I rhyme “write” with “trite”.
At least it's better than reposting memes.

This sonnet's not the best, I will admit
Perhaps I just don't really give a shit.


Well met! If you know of my from my sister blog, Shenanigans with Havoc Mantis, then prepare for a new side of me. If that is also news to you, you might want to check that out first. There's a reason I wasn't called "The most thought-provoking person on Facebook" by respectable gentleman and all-around dreamboat Payton Knobeloch. Anywhere, this is where I will share poetry that I write. Therefore, this introductory bit here may be the only prose that ever graces this blog. You would do well to treasure it. As I implied above, my output consists mostly, if not entirely, of sonnets. Much of my poetry is also written about poetry itself, because I am just meta like that. While my other blog is singularly silly and humorous, much of my poetry is somewhat more sober. That's not to say that it's all depressing imagery of crying and ravens, but there are some actual serious things, so that may be something for which you want to prepare. It is also worth noting that some of my poetry is indeed meant to be funny, so not all of it is a waste of time. Poems will be posted in the order they were written, but the order is largely arbitrary, except in a few cases. These cases will probably be noted. In some cases, explanatory notes may be found at the bottom of a post, in case I feel like making something clearer. Such notes will be italicized.

I guess I should explain what a sonnet is, in case you don't know. It's a poem with 14 lines: 3 quatrains, each consisting of four lines, and a rhyming couplet at the end. Each quatrain has a rhyme scheme of ABAB. All lines are in iambic pentameter (10 syllables, alternating between unstressed and stressed). I stick to these rules pretty strictly, and hate bending the rules to allow half-rhymes or additional syllables, but it will occasionally happen if I believe it allows for something else cool. I find I'm fond of alliteration as well, so keep your eyes peeled for that. If you see it, it's probably on purpose, and if it's not, I'll say that it was. Also, some words may have apostrophes to denote different pronunciation. For example, "favorite" has 3 syllables, but if I need 2 syllables to fit, I'll write "fav'rite", which is how most people pronounce it anyway.

The titles of my sonnets are often rather nonsensical and "deep" sounding. Pay them no heed.

No comments:

Post a Comment